Carry & Conceal Deadly Weapons

With the passing of House Bill 40, qualified Kentucky residents are allowed to conceal and carry deadly weapons as of October 1, 1996.

The Kentucky State Police are in-charge of issuing a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon. Our job is to take an application for a permit from a Clark County resident and verify his/her completion certificate of the required training from a qualified training instructor along with the payment of necessary fees and forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. Then in approximately 3-5 weeks when the Kentucky State Police issue a permit they notify the applicant via mail and the applicant can pick-up his/her permit in our office during normal business hours ( 8:00am-4:00pm M-F).


As of July 12, 2006 , in accordance with House Bill 290 and the changes it made to KRS 237.110, anyone applying for a CCDW license or renewal must be a citizen of the United States . Therefore, applicants will need to fill out and sign a Citizenship Affidavit declaring citizenship to the United States , which will be attached to the application.
Another change that was made to KRS 237.110 states that of the $60 application fee, $40 of it must be a check or money order made payable to the Department of State Police, and any application submitted to the KSP that does not have the $40 fee with it will be returned unprocessed. The remaining $20, (of the $60 application fee), can be cash, check or money order made out to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. For more on House Bill 290, click the following link:
What Credentials Do You Need To Bring?
  • US Government issued ID
         or Proof of Social Security Social Security Card
         or Letter from SSA
         or Most Recent State Income Tax Return
  • Proof of Kentucky Residency
  • Most Recent County Property Tax Bill
         or County Vehicle Registration Certificate
         or Most Recent State Income Tax Return
         or Voter Registration Card
  • Training Certificate Original plus copy (A copy can be made at the Sheriff's Office)
  • Separate Photo for the Application
  •      Photo Requirements:
              It must be a 4 x 3 1//2 or a 4 x 5 shoulder shot, A passport photo is not acceptable.
              The applicant may not wear a hat in the photo or tinted eyeglasses
CCDW Application Fee
  Application Fee (check or money order made payable to Department of State Police)
  Application Fee (cash, check or money order to the Sheriff's Office)

For more information and to obtain a listing of Certified Instructors in your County, go to DOCJT's 
"Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons License Training" web page.

For more information, visit the Kentucky State Police web site:

Change of Personal Information
If you need to change personal information such as an address change you can obtain a form at the sheriff’s office. We will forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. There is no charge to submit a change of personal information. 

The Kentucky State Police will use the same picture from your current permit and produce a new card with the changed information on it. 

They will send the card to us and send you a Flash Pak when it is done indicating you can pick up your new card at our Office.

Please bring your old card along.

Copyright © 2006 Clark County Sheriff's Department